The defense file shall be withdrawn and handed in at the registration office at least 8 weeks before the defense is actually held. The file shall include the following elements:
- Dissertation authorization request signed by the candidate, the dissertation supervisor and the director of the doctoral school
- Submission of a board of examiners duly signed by the dissertation supervisor and the director of the doctoral school (see the rules to select a defense board of examiners)
- Submission of reporters signed by the dissertation supervisor and the director of the doctoral school
- Information sheets for external and unknown members of University
- Summary signed by the dissertation supervisor
- Registration form proving the dissertation has been defended
- 1 copy of the dissertation
- 1 courses certificate delivered by the doctoral school secretariat
- List of the scientific production
D-3 months: The student gets in touch with the doctoral School or the doctoral College to organize the defense procedure (assessment of the attended courses, of the scientific production, selection of the board of examiners …).
D-2 months: The doctoral school calls upon the reporters and informs them that the manuscript will be directly sent to the candidate.
D-6 weeks: deadline for the manuscript to be sent to the reporters by the candidate.
D–3 weeks: the reports are sent back to the doctoral School and are carefully examined by the director or the assistant director of the doctoral school. Unless otherwise stated during the defense, the reports are distributed to the members of the board of examiners together with the notification.
D Day: Oral defense. Communication of the defense report and of the distribution authorization.
D + 3 months: Deadline to hand in the corrected manuscript and online version.
Distinctions are optional. They are neither compulsory nor forbidden. The possible distinctions are:
- very honorable,
- summa cum laude: This highest distinction can only be granted if and only if the members of the board of examiners have voted unanimously by secret ballot and if the president of the board of examiners has established and signed an extra report proving this distinction.