Services for visiting researchers

You are employed in France:
French Social Security provides all employees with a cover for health expenses arising from an illness or an accident, whether it is at work or not. These services are mainly funded through mandatory contributions by the employee and his or her employer.
The most common Social security fund is the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM). Ask your employer’s human resources department for the fund you have to contribute to and ask for information about any special fund.
When you join Social Security, your dependants (i.e. people living under the same roof as you and financially dependent on you) can be included in your coverage.
Reimbursement of medical costs is subject to a minimum level of contribution paid over a given period. French Social Security only reimburses part of medical expenses. We advise you to join a mutual fund or take out additional coverage that will cover at least the difference between the Social Security reimbursement and the actual cost, which is based on set rates.
You have medical cover in a European country
If you are not employed in France and you have Social Security coverage in a European Union country, you must apply for:

  • A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), before arriving in France if your stay is temporary,
  • An E104 form to transfer membership if you are permanently changing your place of residence or if you do not know in which country you will be residing after your stay in France. You will therefore be sure to be covered by Social Security for standard treatment during your stay.

Your country has signed a Social Security agreement with France
If you are not employed in France and you have Social Security coverage in a State that has signed a reciprocity agreement with France for sickness and maternity coverage, you will have Social Security coverage in France.
You simply have to request a form stamped by the processing centre in your country of origin. To check which countries have signed a social security agreement with France, please refer to the table compiled by CLEISS
Other cases
If you are not employed in France, do not hold a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), and do not benefit from a reciprocity agreement, you must take out private health coverage for at least the first three months of your stay. You may then also apply for CMU (Universal Medical Coverage) from the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM)